Office Manager / Executive Assistant
AKA: Head of Office Operations, Director of Employee Happiness
Aleph Beta is a growing nonprofit media company producing high-quality animated Torah videos and podcasts for adults and teenagers. We believe that Torah is meant to be our guide, but we don’t always know exactly how. No one reads Bible like it’s a self-help manual, right? Aleph Beta’s mission is to read the text closely, and to discover, in surprising ways, how the Torah is not just a rulebook, but a guidebook, one that has profound wisdom that is relevant and meaningful in our everyday lives.
Aleph Beta is unique in that it is technically a nonprofit, but it is run as a startup. Working here affords you unique opportunities to hone your skills in a lean growth environment, and feel good about what you do for a living.
Aleph Beta is an organization bursting with passion and creative energy. We’re very results-driven, but we also believe that the fastest and most sustainable way to achieve success is by focusing on our employees. We’re looking for someone who cares deeply for others and believes in supporting and facilitating the success of their colleagues.
You are the steward and assistant for our busy, exciting, and kind-hearted Founder and Lead Scholar, Rabbi David Fohrman. A creative, intellectual leader like Rabbi Fohrman has varying needs depending on the day, and you can handle whatever gets thrown at him. You’re willing to roll up your sleeves to support a Torah visionary, from making sure he gets to the airport on time, to welcoming an important donor to the office, and everything in between.
We are a company of creatives, and seek to incorporate the values that we teach into our own company. We value focus and a healthy work-life balance. This is a full time job located in Inwood (Long Island), NY.
- Plan company-wide events such as offsites and holiday parties
- Manage office decor, keep the office stocked with supplies and snacks, and cultivate a vibe that enhances happiness and productivity
- Pay Invoices
- Manage incoming and outgoing mail
- Manage company-wide benefits
- Coordinate with bookkeeper to ensure payroll is accurate
- Review and keep company insurance plans up to date
- Process and deposit checks
- Manage book order fulfillment and other online marketplace needs
- Help prepare for meetings
- Make travel arrangements for executives
- Support executives’ communication with donors
- Provide support in scheduling, tending to family obligations
- Bring positivity and a can-do attitude to random surprising scenarios
What We Are Looking For
- 2+ Years in Office Management or Administrative work (if you do not have this experience, convince us why we should hire you anyway!)
- Undergraduate degree
- Passion for supporting others, bringing out their best, and somewhat obsessed with optimizing their work environment
- Someone fun, upbeat, confident; the biggest champion of our culture
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build meaningful relationships easily
- Someone who enjoys wearing their creative hat and proactively thinking about community engagement, solutions and process improvements
- Serious project management skills and enthusiasm about using them
- Someone tech savvy and a phenomenal Googler
- High proficiency with Office Suite and Google web apps
- Proficient in Quickbooks and in financial math
- Someone who cares deeply about what we do at Aleph Beta and sees its ability to be transformative in people’s lives
To apply: Please submit resume and cover letter to HR@alephbeta.org. Use “Office Manager / Executive Assistant” in the subject line.